Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tackling the 3rd Largest Part in Shakespeare

Sonny Kelly plays Iago in Othello
by actor Sonny Kelly       
As if creeping into the mind of a megalomaniac sadist psycopath like Othello's Iago were not challenging enough, I learned quickly after being cast, that I am required to memorize more lines than I ever have for any one play (much less, lines written in 17th century Old English). While this daunting task has indeed kept me up at night (and up again early in the morning), it's thrilling to see, hear and feel how richly Shakespeare develops characters through language that is full, complex and deeply meaningful.

I started the process of memorizing, as I normally do, when I take on a new part: Repetition, repetition, repetition. I tried reading my lines repeatedly, then saying them out loud with my eyes closed (don't try this while driving--- SCARY!), and even recording myself. With each day that passed, I found myself frustrated to no end at the huge amount of text that refused to stick in my brain! Being a husband, father of two (a 1 year old and a 4 year old), and a full time youth program director, my time is tight, as it is. I really can't afford to waste time on tactics that aren't working.

When I auditioned for Othello, I was drawn to the intensity and complexity of Iago. I love my character, and I love the story, but I have to admit that wrote memorization of these lines was killing me softly, and rehearsals became a gauntlet of frustration, disappointment and a deep longing to finally get this character up and on his feet, without a script to tether him at every turn.

Thank God, Tom directed me to throw myself into the vivid imagery to which Shakespeare's writing lends itself. The more passion, imagery and body motion I put into my study and personal rehearsal, the more the words jump from the page and inhabit my mind and body. It is amazing and quite engaging to wrestle with the text in such a way that I walk away having engrafted it to my performance (rather than just having memorized a bunch of words). I was tickled tonight, as I drove through Taco Bell's 24-hour drive through passionately delivering some of my most difficult lines-- arms flailing, face contorting, and voice booming through the car's cabin. Totally lost in my study, I noticed the frustrated driver behind me, looking confused (and perhaps nervous), edging up behind me to nudge me forward to the window..."And scene! More fun with Shakespeare after this burrito!"


No comments:

Post a Comment